Bookworms: What are you currently reading & what do you plan to read next?

Homepage Forums Holiday Break Community Bookworms: What are you currently reading & what do you plan to read next?

• Author
      Rachael WingateRachael Wingate

I’m currently reading Real Change by Sharon Salzberg, which came out a few months ago (her book Lovingkindness is a classic in my personal library).
      I’m excited to read Love and Rage by Lama Rod Owens next!

Participant

Hi Rachael, I haven’t read either of those books but Sharon Salzberg was one of the first teachers I found and love her teaching style. I’ll make a note of those books, thank you 🙂
      I’m reading again a book I read a few years ago, Untangling Self by Andrew Olendzki. I’m also reading Standing At The Edge by Joan Halifax, which someone recommended in the chatbox of Martin’s morning meditations. I’m finding this book inspiring!

Participant

If Women Rose Rooted by Sharon Blackie. My spiritual path has often taken me eastward – to Tibet, Nepal, India. Sharon’s work brings me back to my Celtic roots as a place from which to practice.

Participant

Yes I am going to read Love and Rage next. Am currently reading and working with Awakening Through Love by John Makransky. I did a course with him in the first lock down, on compassion in difficult times. Those meditations are powerful 🙏🏻

Rachael WingateRachael Wingate

We have posted our Sangha Live recommended reads of the moment on social media – 3 books by wise teachers who will be leading sessions with us in January & Feburary 2021.

For those who don’t have Facebook:

• Listening to the Heart: A Contemplative Journey to Engaged Buddhism by Kittisaro and Thanissara
      Husband and wife Kittisaro and Thanissara take turns coauthoring chapters in this deeply personal dharma book. Both monastics in their youth, they recount traveling through the fields of trials and despair that lead to maturity and a blessed life. Drawing on teachings of Buddhist masters, Thanissara and Kittisaro encourage us to go beyond the goal of inner peace to serve our world in crisis, through mindful balance of equanimity and passionate engagement.

• Awakening Joy by James Baraz
      Filled with inviting stories, exercises, and practical advice, Awakening Joy charts a path to living more engaged and content lives, in spite of difficulty and uncertainty. The book offers us time-tested practices, largely based on Buddhist philosophy, to help incline our minds towards wellbeing. Awakening Joy offers a simple yet powerful message of hope, grounded in the realization that joy already exists inside every one of us.

• A Bigger Sky: Awakening a Fierce Feminine Buddhism by Pamela Weiss
      Reimagining Buddhism through a feminine lens, this book is a powerful memoir of healing, strength, and spiritual awakening. A Bigger Sky explores what it means to traverse the gaps of a Buddhism created by and for men. Blending memoir, Buddhist practice, and cultural observation, Weiss’ personal and spiritual journey shines a light on the different pathways we can walk to become whole.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.